- If you know there are going to be NO healthy options eat before going.
- Bring something with you that you know will be healthy ie, salad, veggie tray, fruit tray. Anything that you can munch on will be a big help for you.
- A great option if the host does not have chicken is to have a burger without the bun. Try topping it with salsa, a staple at almost any BBQ, it will give it a little zip and is much healthier than the ketchup with high fructose corn syrup. Pat and I love to top ours with Peach and Mango salsa it is a staple in our house during the summer BBQ months.
- Stay AWAY from the food & snack table. The closer you are the more tempted you will be to mindlessly eat.
- Be active! If there is a pool jump in and have a swim, play with the kids (they'll have a great time and you'll get a little extra exercise), join the volleyball or bad mitten game. Plus the extra activity will keep you away from that food table.
- Avoid the alcohol. You will consume the extra calories of the drink plus you will be more tempted to snack. If you are going to have a drink make a commitment to yourself to have just one and stick to it.
- Dessert!!!! Try to stay away or bring a healthier option such as fresh fruit or a homemade strawberry shortcake. If you make it you can control the amount and type of sweetener plus you can add other fruit such as blackberries and raspberries. Try a greek yogurt to top it with rather than the whip cream.
- Tell the host that you are trying to make healthier food choices for yourself so they understand and are not insulted by you not eating some of everything or a big piece of desert.
You will be surprised by the number of people that will appreciate you bringing a healthier option to the BBQ. Remember if you do slip it is just one meal/one slip and get back to healthy eating ASAP and you will be fine. Hope everyone enjoys their 4th of July holiday with family and friends.