Sunday, March 7, 2010

Half @ The Hamptons


On February 21st I ran my third half marathon. I had a thirteen mile training run scheduled for that day and thought running it with 1200 people would be more fun than by myself.

It was a cool and windy morning when we arrived, but the skies were blue and the sun was warm. I had planned to run an easy half just for the training, but I always seem to have a hard time "taking it easy". At the start of the race I thought I was following the 9 minute pacer but in reality I was behind the 8:30 pacer, oops!

After getting off of the beach and into the neighborhoods of Hampton the sun was shining and I actually had to ditch the hat and gloves. The final 4 miles of the course were down Route 1A in Hampton. If you are from the area you know how beautiful the last 4 miles were.

I went out at the 8:30 pace for the first half of the race but then eased back to a pace of 9:00 miles for the second half. Giving me a finishing time of 1:54:47 at a pace of 8:48 miles.


I'm planning on one more half before my marathon (Keybank Vermont Marathon on May 30th) and hoping to try for a PR in that race. For me the best part of the day wasn't the time on the clock but getting to enjoy the race on such a beautiful day. I also got to enjoy the day with a few of my local running buddies.















I'm heading out now to get in a nice easy 9 miles in this New England heatwave of 50 degrees in March. Have to take advantage before the weather changes like it always does in New England.

Vicky

No comments:

Post a Comment