Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Turkey-Spinach Lasagna

I love to cook and that has definitely contributed to my weight issues. Thanksgiving is by far my favorite holiday. There is just something about having all your friends and family around to enjoy a wonderful meal. I love to cook for my friends and family and now they are benefiting from my healthier cooking. My love to cook has lead me to try to create healthy ways to make some of our favorite meals. Enjoying the healthy food you eat is the main key to be able to make the changes in your diet a life style change rather than just a quick fix. Hope everyone enjoys these. I want to try to post a few new recipes every month. If anyone is looking for a healthier way to make a family favorite I'm always up for the challenge. Just drop me a note.

Ingredients:
Cooking spray
½ lb ground turkey 99% Lean
½ lb sweet or spicy turkey sausage
(such as Shady Brook Farms)
1 ½ cups chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
6 cups of homemade marinara sauce
(or 2 jars low-fat no sugar added sauce)
1 (16oz) container of fat-free cottage cheese
¼ cup egg substitute
¼ cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 (10oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
9 cooked whole wheat lasagna noodles
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350◦.

Spray large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high. Cook turkey until brown, add onion and garlic and cook until onions are transparent. Add 5 ¾ cups marinara sauce and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.

Combine cottage cheese, egg substitute, parmesan cheese, parsley, pepper and spinach.

Spread ¼ marinara sauce on bottom of 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Arrange 3 noodles on bottom of pan. Cover with ½ cheese mixture then 1/3 meat sauce mixture. Cover with 3 more noodles and repeat. Cover top 3 noodles with remaining meat sauce mixture and top with mozzarella cheese.

Bake at 350◦ for 50 minutes. Let sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. Makes 12 servings. This freezes wonderful for a meal later when you are in a rush. Even my 8yr son loves this recipe and he doesn't even realize that he is eating spinach.

Nutritional Information:
Calories 275, Fat 7, Sat Fat 2, Carbs 26.5, Fiber 4, Protein 21.5

No comments:

Post a Comment