Thursday, January 28, 2010

Remember Where You Came From....

We should all keep a reminder of where we came from when we started on this up and down journey for our health and fitness. We all know that photo or that comment that made the light bulb go off in our head and made us realize the way our lives were headed. We are all now on our journey to a healthier life so that light bulb moment all got us to change our lives for the better no matter how painful or embarrassing it may have been.

For me my life changing moment was when I saw a photo of Pat and I from my 10 year high school reunion. Most people are thinking about how they look before they go to the reunion, but for some reason I didn't think I looked all that bad.





What was I thinking! I was wearing a dress that was a few sizes too small. It should have been loose and flowing on my body instead of tight and ready to rip the minute I sat down. It wasn't until I saw this picture that I realized I had to do something about where my health was headed.

In this picture I was more than 40 lbs heavier than I am now and almost 50 lbs heavier than I was in high school. This picture was taken Thanksgiving weekend and the Wednesday after Thanksgiving I committed to make a change for the better for my health.

Now today 4 years later and 40 lbs lighter I'm as fit as I was in high school and have completed two half marathons, a 24 hour relay road race and I am on to the road to my first marathon.




If you had asked me four years ago if I thought I would be doing any of these things I would have said "No Way!". I now look at these to pictures and I realize I'm not the same person I was 4 years ago physically or mentally. I had just gotten comfortable and forgotten about my love for running and for fitness. Both of these pictures are so very important to me because they show the amazing journey of the past 4 years. Plus the first serves as a constant reminder of how hard I have worked to get where I am and how easy it is to go back to where I was. I love the person I am today and I am striving to make myself better everyday. I can't wait to see what incredible picture I get to add next to this story!

No comments:

Post a Comment